Always tinkering

Final 2/19

Been wanting to revisit some of the characteristics and qualities I saw in an earlier work at pre-completion stage (the first images of a painting below which became this finished piece) as the studies I’ve been doing make me think color, tone and line more. Obviously going a bit more vibrant this time…

As soon as I got the drawing onto the canvas, I recognized a strong diagonal from lower left to upper right. I responded by cutting a stretcher for this one that has 2 corners that are slightly obtuse. Spent some the time on this piece working out which edge to make square to the room (middle rows in the gallery below), ended up settling on the top edge.

I decided the cartoon line needed to be a light tone which I think makes it more of a distinct compositional element. I also added a thick isolation layer which gave some underlying texture to the final applications for all the cube “faces” that for now appear orange, and decided that the tone and chroma of the oranges should vary slightly.

Pleased with the final result, which has also surfaced another challenge with shaped canvases which is photographing them. Normally, with a rectangular stretcher with square corners, I’d just shoot them in daylight, crop out the background in photo editing software, and call it good. Shaped canvases present another challenge, for which I invested in a 5000+ kelvin studio light that I’ll also use to take pictures of assemblage pieces and cubes.

Author: sterlingsart

abstract painter living in Raleigh, NC- follow my blog to help build my mailing list!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s